Sunday, October 31, 2004

Happy Halloween!


Pumpkin Muffin

Some Halloween-related events are scheduled for this weekend in this town. The one I joined last night was a big costume & dance party :) From 11:30 pm to 3:00am, I kept chatting and dancing! (Details here.) I slept in this morning and now I’m craving for miso soup….(Miso is said to be a good alkalizing food which is good for you when you have a hangover.)

Anyway, I felt the urge to make something using pumpkin this weekend to celebrate Halloween. As you can probably imagine, I’m a bit tired of pies recently, so pumpkin pie was not my choice. Instead, I baked some cute Pumpkin muffins yesterday.

The recipe is from my favorite muffin book, ” Itsudemo Muffin – Muffins & Quick Breads” by Asa Shiokawa. This is a real nice book. What’s so nice about the book is not only the recipes included but also the PHOTOS!! The photos of muffins/quick breads in this book look so nice with a great effect of the natural sunlight and shade. Oh how I long to be able to take photos like them and post to my foodblog!!

Now, this is the kind of pumpkin we have here:

Kabocha


It tastes very sweet and its flesh is (almost like sweet potatoes or chestnuts) not as moist as the pumpkins you usually use for pumpkin pie, I guess. This kabocha is very good for this type of pumpkin muffins, because about 2/3 of the pumpkin called for in the recipe is not pureed but added to the batter as pumpkin chunks. And the chunks give a little snap of pumpkin flavor, which goes really well with the salty pumpkin seeds on top.

See the orange-colored pumpkin chunks inside?

The recipe says the muffins would be good with cinnamon butter, too.
I’m usually a coffee drinker, but today, with these muffins, I felt like having hot cocoa.



So, Happy Halloween!!!

12 comments:

ting-aling said...

Wow, very creative.

ting-aling said...

We call them kalabasa in the Philippines.

Ziz said...

Very cute!!! :D

obachan said...

> ting-aling --- Thanks! I had fun drawing and cutting out those pumpkin faces :) Kalabasa and Kabocha…. Interesting. They sound somewhat similar, don’t they?
> Alicat --- Thanks again. Cute? I thought I made them look scary....

Ziz said...

Whoops... I meant scary scary scary. :P

JMom said...

Hi Obachan, Happy Halloween, belatedly. You sure have been doing a lot of cooking! I am just catching up on my bloghopping while I'm at work (sshh)since I've been out of circulation for a few days now. I'm going to have to try your pear pie and orange tart recipes. They look delicious. I made basil pesto over the summer too, to use up my fresh basil. I couldn't get my girls to like the green pasta though :( Oh well, more for me.

obachan said...

> alicat --- :D
> JMom --- OK. I won’t tell your boss about your bloghopping. ;)
I wasn’t too crazy about the sour cream pear pie …. I was pretty happy when the last piece was finally gone. Making basil paste is always fun, but my neighbors may not be happy when I do that. The walls are so thin in this apartment and they have to hear me singing while making the paste (this time, “Bed of Roses” by Bon Jovi.) :P

Unknown said...

scary jack-o-lanterns on yummy muffins..sounds like a treat for kids and kids-at-heart. Thanks for the tip on the other benefits of miso soup. must remember next "overimbibing" time.

obachan said...

uh... You're supposed to be scared, Jonny.

obachan said...

> drstl --- It's too bad that kids don’t do trick-or-treating around here. I made too many muffins and really wanted to share them with kids.

Tatsuo Tabata said...

Too many muffins? I could help you eat them if I lived near you! --Tatsu

obachan said...

Well, thanks anyway.