Sunday, January 09, 2005

Daikon a la Carte


Furofuki Daikon with Yuzu Miso

“Simple is best.” That’s probably the phrase that best describes this dish. Furofuki-daikon is a typical Japanese simmered dish for winter.

I brought back 2 daikon radishes from my parents’ veg. garden about a week ago. Some days passed while I couldn’t quite decide what to make out of them. Then I finally decided to give this a try.

There seem to be several different versions of Furofuki daikon recipe, and I decided to try the one that called for the simplest seasoning, which is, simmering daikon with kelp, water and sake only. No dashi stock, no soy sauce. Just the flavor from the kelp. Since I’m so used to using my favorite liquid dashi concentrate, I wanted to try and see how such simple seasoning would turn out.

As I mentioned in my buri-daikon entry, some preparations make simmered daikon taste much better. For furofuki, you cut daikon into apx. 3cm thick rounds, peel and do what we call mentori (= to plane off the corners.)

Then make a deep crisscross in one side which should be the bottom when served. Boil them in rise rinsing water for apx. 20 min. Drain and wash with cold water quickly. Put daikon (cut side down) and a sheet of kelp in a pot and add plenty of water to cover the daikon completely. Bring to boil on high heat and then simmer over low heat until daikon is transparent and soft.



I tried 2 kinds of miso toppings this time: Yuzu miso and Tori-soboro (ground chicken) miso.


Furofuki daikon with Tori-soboro Miso

I started with the recipe I found on a Japanese site, but ended up making many changes to the original recipe, so I don’t remember exactly how much of each ingredient I actually used.

Just really roughly, this is what I think I used for each miso topping:

Yuzu miso
4Tbsp Shiromiso
2 tsp sugar
1Tbsp mirin (rice wine)
1 tsp sake
1 tsp grated yuzu rind
3 tsp yuzu juice

Cook miso, sugar and mirin in a saucepan over low heat stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat and add yuzu rind and juice. Stir well.

Tori-soboro miso
some ground chicken
a little vegetable oil
4Tbsp miso
3 1/2Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp sake
1 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp grated ginger root

Sautee ground chicken with salad oil and set aside. Cook all other ingredients in a saucepan over low heat stirring constantly until smooth. Add the sauteed ground chicken and stir well. Remove from heat.

The taste? ---- * Good* ---- Almost divine.
I used a little expensive kelp this time because I thought it was the key in this simple seasoning. If seasoned strongly with soy sauce and dashi, it couldn't have brought out the best of the flavor of the miso toppings, I suppose.

BTW, I didn’t waste anything. The tiny daikon shreds from mentori were mixed in this.

Daikon Salad with store-bought sesami dressing

On the other hand, I still have bunch of takuan (pickled daikon) that my boss gave me at the end of last year. They’re not too sweet like the stevia-sweetened ones sold at supermarkets, and very good in ochazuke (tea-and-rice bowl) :D


So it was a pretty daikon-ful day today.
And tomorrow will be, too.


13 comments:

Fish Fish said...

Geee... Obachan... the yuzu miso looks so dribble. How did u make it?

chika said...

oishisooooooooo

obachan said...

> fish fish --- Hehehe… Now my secrets are revealed. Enjoy!

> Jonny --- This is what I did. Enjoy!

> chika --- Yes. Oishikattaaaa :) (And I still have bunch of yuzu miso left.)

Fish Fish said...

Thanks. Geee... the Takuan looks so dribble. Ai yar~ wish I can try eat. I love~ takuan.

Reid said...

Hi obachan,

The one with yuzu miso sounds so good. I'm tempted to try it, but I can't seem to find yuzu here anywhere. =(

I really like takuan and should really start making some. I tend to like it a bit spicy rather than sweet.

aggregation-ist said...

Hi Obachan,

I just want to say how much I enjoy your blog. You make such simple and interesting dishes, and have given me loads of new ideas. I had great success with your buri daikon recipe. Keep up the great work!

obachan said...

> Reid --- Too bad that you can’t get yuzu over there. I thought you have everything Japanese in Hawaii. What about buying a packed yuzu-miso somewhere in Tokyo when you stop by on your way to Singapor. (Or maybe you do have packed ones in Hawaii but you want to try making it yourself with fresh yuzu…)
Good luck with your takuan : ) It must be a lot of work, but will be worth it.

> Jamie --- Welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :D Sooooo glad to hear that someone tried my buri-daikon recipe. Honestly, when I started this blog, I never expected anyone to try the recipe I post. I’m thrilled!

Anonymous said...

yummy daikon dish. i tried it and it made my night. thanks. =) im book marking you from now on.

obachan said...

Hi passerby,
Thanks so much for trying this daikon recipe. I'm so happy, because this is my favorite post for which I worked so hard. (Esp. taking a shot while adding rice rinsing water to daikon was hard!)
Hope you come visit often :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe, along with the pictures! I had to drive for many miles to get all of the ingredients, but it was well worth it! My whole family loved it. I've book-marked your blog so I can read more.
Thanks again.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tina said...

Thank you! I made this last night and it was a huge success! Everyone licked their plates clean :)

obachan said...

Suzanne and Tina,

I'm sooooooooo happy to hear that you had a success! Thank you! :D