Monday, February 14, 2005

Crazy Weekend - Cheddar Cheese Shortbread -

OK! Finally, the comment problem is solved! Somehow my comment system kept giving me errors when I tried to update it, so it took half a day for me to fix it. Sorry I couldn’t respond to your comments earlier! Please forgive me. Last weekend was just too … what should I call it… CRAZY!


Cheddar Cheese Shortbread

This is the pic from the crazy weekend. This is Cheddar Cheese Shortbread that I baked Saturday night for a fundraising event on Sunday.

To make this, I sort of combined 2 shortbread recipes: lemon shortbread and cheese shortbread.

I adopted the amount of butter, flour and cornstarch from the lemon shortbread recipe, and experimented (gambled?) a bit on the amount of cheddar cheese. Of course I can’t get McLaren’s Imperial Cheese here, so I bought a block of red cheddar cheese and grated it. The shortbread ended up having many small cheddar chunks here and there, but it was kind of yummy, though probably it’s not the way cheese shortbread is supposed to be. ;P



Anyway, that part wasn’t too crazy, though the fundraising kept me rather busy. Baking and selling were fun, after all, and since I didn't make too many of them, my shortbread sold out quickly. I was pretty happy to see that. :D

What was crazy was that somehow my laptop had a local-network error or something Friday night, and I completely lost access to the internet. On Sunday, I excused myself for a while from the fundraising and brought my laptop to a computer shop and had its setting fixed there.


So Sunday night after the fundraising was over, I was all ready to blog again, then the laptop gave me the same network error again!! It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong --- I had to reset the ADSL modem. My mind was fully occupied with that problem, so I totally forgot that I kept hot water running to fill the bathtub while working on my laptop and modem. The water was overflowing when I finally went to the bathroom (and the gas was automatically shut down because it was running over 1 hour, so it was cold water that was overlflowing from the bathtub). I had to get outside to release the safety-device for the gas. Then I went back to my laptop, finally fixed the problem, and started responding to the comments I got and left unresponded over the weekend.

It didn’t work… the Blogger’s comment update broke the BloggerHacks comment function.

I thought I had enough for one day, so I shut down my laptop, took a hot bath and went to bed last night.


This morning, feeling refreshed from the good sleep last night, I finally fixed the problem with the comment system, after some errors.

Well... it feels so good to be back in my normal blogging environment, after all.
:D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so admire you .. Obachan.. :)
for being able to work.. bake .. blog.. ahhh..!! the luxury of having some quality time.. :)
Perhaps i will have some soon.. too.. :) 

Posted by MrsT

Anonymous said...

Hey obachan, it sure was a crazy weekend indeed. I would have freaked out for sure to realise that my bathtub had been overflowing for an hour. The shortbread are really pretty. So nice of you to bake them for a fundraiser. :)  

Posted by Julia

Anonymous said...

Looks very good, obachan:)Very english.

Mind me asking how u post multiple pics per post thru Hello/Picassa?I am having trouble with it:( 

Posted by Min

Anonymous said...

hey, Obachan.
ur post reminds me my days back in London. Shortbread was always my favorite.(Those lovely things made me fat, tho)  

Posted by grilled_aubergine

Anonymous said...

> MrsT --- Yeah, when Chloe gets better. Hope it’ll come very soon. I’m sending my love to her.

> Julia --- Yep. And I’m sure I’ll freak out again when I see the water/gas bill next months….

> Min --- So glad to hear that my shortbread looks English. :D
I know how you feel about posting multiple pics. I emailed you what I’m doing, but it’s a very primitive way, so I do hope someone else would give us a better idea. PLEASE!

> grilled_aubergine --- Oh, that means my shortbread looks close to what you had in London? Wow! I’m so happy to hear that :D Uh… but I think my eyes are a bit too tired now. I can’t read what you wrote in the parenthesis very well… ;P



 

Posted by obachan