Sunday, August 28, 2005

Almost There... Peach Cobbler


Peach (Nectarine) Cobbler

It has been my custom to make fresh peach cobbler at least once every summer since I came back to Kochi in 2000. Every time I tried a different recipe, and every time I thought “Well… not bad, but…” The problem was that I couldn’t find fresh yellow peaches and I didn’t want too-sweet canned stuff, so I always used white peaches. I love fresh white peaces so much, but when baked in a cobbler, I felt that something was not quite right. They didn’t go well with brown sugar as much as I had expected and I always preferred eating them raw. So this time I decided to use nectarines instead.

Nectarines were on sale yesterday at the supermarket I always shop at. They were pitiful ones--- already turning brownish even though they were not quite ripe --- but I thought it wouldn’t matter too much when baked in a cobbler.

I found this recipe on the net this afternoon and scaled it in half. I guess I didn’t make a mistake in calculation or conversion this time. I had to throw away some bad parts of the nectarines, but I had enough left for my half-sized cobbler. While it was in the oven, the wonderful smell of cinnamon and sugar filled my kitchen, and I realized that it was about a month ago when my kitchen was filled with the aroma from baking last time!

It turned out pretty good. :D Using nectarines was definitely a right choice and I liked this recipe. Well, there’s actually a few things that I’d do differently next time: I’ll reduce the amount of brown sugar, add a bit more lemon juice and slice nectarines into thicker wedges so that I can enjoy their texture better. Also, I might use milk instead of hot water for the crust. But I’m glad I found this recipe. For some reason, I like “crust-on-top” peach cobbler recipes better than “peach-on-top” ones.

Too bad that the nearby supermarket ran out of vanilla ice cream today!! Next time, I’ll make a bit less sweet version of this nectarine cobbler and, when I eat it, put a big scoop of ice cream on top while the cobbler is still warm… Hmmmmmmm!!!.

For now I’m enjoying it with cool, crisp iced tea.
Ah... heavenly. ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

obachan;
What a wonderful dessert...Looks so good. Cobblers are great and you can use just about any fruit in season. The ice tea was the perfect topper.... 

Posted by carlyn

Anonymous said...

hi, obachan! long time no see!!! thought you might want to try a much simpler recipe. remember, i come from the land of the best peaches in the world. you probably remember the name: GEORGIA PEACH!!!

8 inch round, 4 inch deep glass container
5-8 tsp butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Put the butter in the deep baking dish/ round container and place in oven to melt, while you're mixing the batter.

Batter: Mix together dry first. Then add the milk SLOWLY
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups milk

Pour the batter over the melted warm butter.
Spoon peaches (quartered) on top of batter mix. DO NOT MIX peaches into batter. Just place them on top of the batter.
Bake for 30-45 min
When done, Crust will rise to top to a nice brown

see how simple? if you ever try it, let me know how it turns out! 

Posted by purplegirl

Anonymous said...

carlyn 
Now you inspired me to invent some creative cobblers this coming autumn… ;)

purplegirl

Yeah, long time no hear :) And thanks for the recipe. Of course, who could say no to a peach cobbler recipe from the land of Georgia peach!? I’ll definitely give this a try. Really simple! So the peaches are not pre-baked with brown sugar. OK, then, for this recipe, I’d like to use good tasting nectarines… not the pitiful ones like I used this time. As soon as I get good nectarines for a reasonable price, I’ll give this recipe a try. Stay tuned!  

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

yep. no need to pre-bake the peaches. and i don't like using canned either. just slice 'em peaches or nectarines and bake away! 

Posted by purplegirl

Anonymous said...

Hi Obachan - I love to use nectarines when I can't find good peaches. Or when I can find them and eat them before I can use them! The cobbler looks great. 

Posted by Nic

Anonymous said...

purplegirl 
OK. Sounds good ;)

Hi Nic,
Thanks. Nectarines are rather expensive around here, so I was really lucky to be able to find some on sale.
 

Posted by obachan

Anonymous said...

Yum..!!
 

Posted by Big BoK

Anonymous said...

It sure was! :D 

Posted by obachan