Sunday, February 05, 2006

The 7 Meme

Bilbo tagged me for the 7 Meme the other day and I’m going to let the world know a little more about myself.
BTW, there seem to be a few different versions of this meme, but I followed bilbo’s. ;)

7 Things to Do Before I Die

1. Go to Singapore and eat chicken rice.
2. Go to Australia and see Ayers Rock.
3. Go to Canada and learn fishing (esp. fly fishing)
4. See aurora.
5. Live in a small house near the ocean with a big dog and a little kitty.
6. Meet with foodbloggers in Japan and enjoy all-night karaoke party ;)
7. Clean my room and the bathroom completely and perfectly.

7 Things I Cannot Do (or things I do NOT enjoy doing)
1. Maths
2. Watching horror films (there are a few exceptions, though)
3. Cleaning
4. Eating fish with a lot of bones
5. Brown-nosing a hypocrite
6. Touching a cockroach with bare hand
7. Public speaking

7 Things that Attracted Me to Blogging
1. I can make friends all over the world
2. I can learn from friends all over the world
3. I can share my thoughts and creativity(?) with friends all over the world
4. I can use my “Engrish”
5. I can see things around me in a different way through blogging
6. It’s free.
7. It’s fun to play with templates

7 Things I Say Most Often
1. Really?
2. Maybe.
3. OMG.
4. Oh well.
5. Yeah, right.
6. Kind of.
7. Maa, nantoka narudesho. (Translation please, anyone?)

7 Books I love
1. Gone with the wind, Margaret Mitchell
2. ABC Murders, Agatha Christie
3. Flowers to Algernon, Daniel Keyes
4. Wathering Heights, Emily Bronte
5. The Grape of Wrath, John Steinbeck
6. Hyakumankai Ikita Neko (The Cat That Lived a Million Times) (Japanese)
7. Tebukuro wo Kaini (Japanese)

7 Movies I Watch Over and Over
1. Fried Green Tomatoes
2. The Hustler
3. A Chorus Line
4. Thelma & Louise
5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
6. Amadeus
7. Shawshank Redemption

7 Bloggers I’m Tagging
Sorry, I’m taking an easy way out again, because this meme has been around for a while and it tags 7 bloggers, not 3 or 5 like most other memes, I think most blog friends are probably tagged already. And if I would tag them again, it’d give them another trouble of having to come to my blog and say “Hi Obachan, I’m already tagged by so and so,” and/or add another name to the list of the bloggers who tagged them. So I’ll do this again. Please let me know if you want to play this meme and want to be tagged. Thanks! :D
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

nantoka naru desho = Whatever....

Just one idea...

Evangeline said...

hmm, singaporean chicken rice is mostly hainanese style, which is all well and good. but you should also try the cantonese style chicken rice!! it's not as good as hainanese, except for the green sauce~~~~ it's made frm spring onions and ginger and is yummo.

oh yeah if u come to australia, drop me a line, i haven't been to uluru/ayers rock yet...

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that the humble chicken rice from my country made it to your list! It's not Hainanese as most people think cos it's very different from the chicken rice in Hainan island in China. But it is definitely very good. Now I miss home... Do let me know when you want to go.

Anonymous said...

amadeus is a lovely movie.

Anonymous said...

Tabehodai, you are from Singapore?? Are you in Japan? And yes, the chicken rice in Singapore has evolved into something we call our own, no matter what its origins were. And ours is GOOD !!(so are the others, of course ;-) )

yes, obachan, Singaporean chicken rice is definitely worth trying before you die, and do try more than one shop, try many!! Finally, thanks for letting me chat on your comments page, and keep writing!

bilbo said...

thanks obachan for indulging me in the meme. Glad to know more about you. Don't know abt karaoke, but I'd love to meet you. Do give me a holler when ever you're planning to be in tokyo. your engrish vely good :P. I have been here for a year and half, and while I haven't been able to pick up japanese, I am beginning to confuse the ls and the rs . I guess its infectious. Now i have to think twice before i say something with both the consonants

obachan said...

sara
Thanks. Yeah, I think that’s pretty close…

evangeline
Mmmmmm, now I’m dead curious. Looks like I HAVE TO try both hainanese and cantonese style chicken rice :D I’ll definitely let you know when I come to Australia.

tabehodai
So I guess I should try three types of chicken rice: real Singaporean style, hainanese style and Cantonese style. Wow! OK. I’ll let you know when I saved enough money to visit Singapore. Please take me with you. ;)

joileen
Yep, it is. :D

anonymous commenter
Ohhhh, OK. When I visit Singapore, you and tabehodai have to take me to as many shops as possible to try different chicken rice dishes. ;)

bilbo
Yeah, I do think some errors are infectious. ;)
And I’ll let you know when I come to Tokyo!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

We share the same cleaning problem!!! That's the thing I hate most...

I appreciate the fact that you can't brown-nose (a good quality)!

I'm also not too fond of cockroaches ;-)))!

Well, let's hope that your dreams come true...

obachan said...

CG
I knew it. You’re on top of the list, CG. ;)

rosa’s yummy yums
Thank you. So happy to hear that we share the same problem. :)
BTW, you have cockroaches in Switzerland?! For some reason, I had thought that there must be no cockroaches there.

Anonymous said...

Anon: yes!

Obachan: While you save up, I need to do research on where to find Hainan Island Hainanese Chicken Rice in Singapore. But for all the other styles of Singapore chicken rice, yes, I will be a good guide!

Ah, I hope you find out how to make kaki furai and post the recipe. I love this dish but I don't know how to make it.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Obachan,

We do have cockroaches (small ones) in Switzerland... We even have exotic species now that people travel with aeroplanes!
I even had once a mud wasp from the Himalaya!!!

Regards,
Rosa

Karen said...

I've read "Gone with the wind" over and over when i was a teenager. I even read the sequel, "Scarlett", but it was so disappointing!

obachan said...

tabehodai
Kakifurai is really simple and easy. You wash and drain oysters, pat dry with a paper towel, salt and pepper (I sprinkle sake over them before seasoning, but that’s optional), coat with flour, dip in beaten egg, coat with bread crumbs and deep fry. A fresh squeeze of lemon and tartar sauce is a common combination. It’s that simple and really tasty…usually. But my kakifurai attempts this year have been disappointing… the oysters didn’t have much of the distinctive, “oceany flavor” that you always expect them to have… :(

Rosa
From Himalaya!!! :O Small world, isn’t it?

Karen
I heard that many people found Scarlett disappointing. It must be difficult for a sequel to be really successful anyway.

Anonymous said...

"maa, nantoka naru deshou" is probably along the lines of: "Well, something will work out, I'm sure..." or "well, it will all work out in the end..."

obachan said...

Yeah, that's it, Jason! Thanks a mil. :D

Deetsa said...

You want to fish in Canada, eh? I live right across from a fishing resort in British Columbia. It's all very beautiful around here in the summer salmon season. Don't know if you can do fly fishing but you could always ask them at their site http://www.shearwater.ca No doubt if they can't do something for you to your liking, they may know who can! :)

obachan said...

Hi thediningdica,
Oh I envy you! British Columbia? Summer salmon season? My dream… : )
Gee, I really really need to save up.