Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Izakaya Chronicles #3- Biggest Change -

March 25th is my birthday. And that day is going to be the last day of the izakaya pub where I work at.

We knew this was coming. It was only a matter of time. Ever since the BSE issue became widely known, we’ve been ready for this ... for years.

Don’t worry. I’m not going to lose my job. The izakaya will be closed once, and after a makeover, re-open with a new name, new manager and new cooks. Most of the waitresses and dishwashers are staying, and I'm one of them.

We all had complicated feelings at work tonight. I don’t know how many times I sighed. I heard that one of the waitresses cried when she first heard this news. Somehow, I didn’t feel like crying … but yes, I think I was sad, but at the same time, relieved. No more wondering.

Maybe it’s not a bad idea to have some kind of closure on my birthday.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Better say that it is a renewal, not a closure! :)

obachan said...

oslofoodie
Thank you. I guess we're going to have a couple of days off before we re-start.

karen
Yeah, that's right. Starting again. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your last day at work! Especially if you've built up strong friendships with the staff that aren't going to be coming back. But at least hopefully this will all bring about a better change? Stay optimistic!

obachan said...

Thanks jme. I would have to experience some sadness when we clean up the place on the 25th and say goodbye to those who are leaving. But then, I will be ready for a change. I know any kind of change can have both good and bad aspects, but I guess I can accept both and still "enjoy" the change somehow.

K and S said...

not a nice way to celebrate your birthday, but at least you'll have a job when the restaurant re-opens. keep you chin up!

hinata said...

sorry to hear that your izakaya is closing, but glad to know that you'll have an opportunity to return soon! any plans for passing the time in between? sounds like a great chance to travel etc. (maybe go to the four places you'd rather be that you mentioned in your earlier post? :) )

Anonymous said...

Obachan, that is sad news but it's a new start too! 頑張って!

obachan said...

K& S
Thanks. Yeah, I’m glad about that.

hinata
Unfortunately no time for traveling. Yeah, I wish I could go to the beautiful beach I mentioned in the meme.

keiko
Thank you. :D