Tuesday, December 26, 2006

With Leftovers...


Open Sandwich with Tomato, Cheese and
Leftover Key West Chicken


To be perfectly honest, the chicken tasted better this way...


Temari-zushi with Leftover Smoked Salmon

For those who are wondering... Temari means Japanese traditional balls that kids bounced in olden days... if I'm not mistaken. Here's a photo (but these balls on this site must be some artwork by famous craftsman, not meant to be used for kids' play, I guess).

Inside these sushi balls were cream cheese and avocado -- my favorite combination. And as I wrote before, I like smoked salmon better with sushi rice than with crackers. So I was very happy with this attempt. The only problem with this sushi was that the capers on top kept falling every time I tried to dip the sushi in soy sauce.

Categories: ,

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

eeeeh, they look totemo oishi!!! I am currently waking up in the middle of the night, and quite hungry....send me some Obachan, onegai T.T (hope I use my Japanese words right, though I know it's not right to use Romaji >__<)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, obachan!

Your open sandwich looks a lot like a concoction my fiance came up with, which he calls pizza bread. If it's anywhere near as tasty as his (and knowing you, it's actually much tastier), I wouldn't be able to stop myself from eating it all. :)

Anonymous said...

as usual, ぜんぶおいしそう (is that correct spelling?). Merry Christmas Obachan and happy new year for next week!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! these look great! I also had some smoked salmon with cream cheese on little toasts :)

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas obachan!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the first anonymous is me Obachan...K-Nina >___<
I'm up in the morning now...still drolling when I see your creations, T.T

obachan said...

K-Nina
Hahaha… Hope you don’t get dehydrated from drooling too much. ;)
I wish I could send you some, but they are all gone now. Sorry!
And let me tell you one thing -- your Japanese is very good. :)

ghanima
Now that you said that, I guess this is closer to what we call “pizza toast” here, except that I didn’t use tomato sauce or pizza sauce for this.

lucas
Yep, the spelling is perfect! :) Hope you had the merriest Christmas.
BTW, did you go to (or passed by) Umeda Hankyu department store before Christmas this year? Do you happen to know if they had the store window display of scenes from BRAMBLY HEDGE story -- with cute animals moving? That was my favorite when I lived in Osaka.

k & s
Mmmm… that sounds good, too.

pinkity
Merry Christmas, pinkity. I wish you lots of happiness for the coming year.

Anonymous said...

Your Temari-zushi look georgious, can I have one? ;D
Happy Holiday Obachan! :)

Anonymous said...

Your sushi is so cute...and your Christmas meal was one fit for a king. So nice of you to share it with us. Thanks for all of your lovely posting and I can't wait to see your osechi ryori ne?!

obachan said...

pip
So sorry. Tose temari balls already bounced into my stomach...
Happy Holidays to you. :)

tokyoastrogirl
Yeah, I'm going to take some shots of osechi at my parents' house, so stay tuned!