Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mozzarella Cheese Marinated in Miso



An interesting fusion of Eastern and Western delicacy ;)

Good guess, everyone! :D Yep, it's cheese.
And it was marinated in something very Japanese.
Can you guess what it was?

------
OK. Here's the answer.
This is mozzarella cheese marinated in miso. :D
Rosa's answer was correct, except that the cheese was not smoked.

I accidentally found a Japanese website talking about this interesting idea, and as usual, I couldn't resist the temptation to try it out myself. It didn't sound as strange as the combination of sweet bean paste and raw peach. I've read many times that fermented foods usually make good combinations.

But I knew I had to be careful about the miso I use. When I marinated tofu in miso before, it turned out too salty. So this time I blended a little amount of regular miso and bunch of saikyo miso, added mirin and heated it to make marinating paste.

This time it turned out a bit too sweet. But I agree with the favorable
comments I read about this food. It is a pleasant (well, at least, for
Japanese) harmony of salty miso and milky flavor of cheese. Adjusted the saltiness of the miso paste, this will be my favorite appetizer for sake. It's interesting. I don't think cheese is a great appetizer for sake as-is, but if added a little amount of very "Japanese" ingredients -- such as soy sauce, miso, bonito flakes or kelp -- it turns into a nice accompaniment for sake, our traditional liquor made from rice.

Well, thanks for participating, everyone! Hope you had fun ;)


Categories:

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

camembert cheese kamaboko?

Anonymous said...

Provolone sashimi?

Anonymous said...

It looks like provolone to me too, but I can't figure out how "Eastern" plays a part.

Anonymous said...

It looks like provolone to me too, but I can't figure out how "Eastern" plays a part.

Anonymous said...

Smoked mozarella!

Anonymous said...

abalone?

Anonymous said...

tofu^^

Anonymous said...

tofu mozarella

Anonymous said...

I second the cheese kamaboko bit.

Anonymous said...

It looks like smoked mozarella marinated in miso?...

Anonymous said...

Cheese marinated in "Nuka"?

M.Shimaya

Anonymous said...

Cheese amrinated in soy suce? Or... Sake??

Unknown said...

my guess is mozzarella cheese soaked in sake.

Chubbypanda said...

Uni cheese?

Can't wait to find out.

Anonymous said...

or goat's cheese marinated in sake ...

John

obachan said...

Thank you! You all did pretty good, and some of you even gave me a crazy idea... Yeah, if drinking sake with cheese works, what if I marinate cheese in sake...??? ;);)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very interesting! I really wonder how it tastes...

obachan said...

Hi Rosa,
I know you can get sake over there but how about miso? If you could find miso over there, it mihgt be interesting to try marinating cheese that has light taste. I thought the miso brought out the milky flavor of the cheese.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Here, we can get miso (different types also), so it would be possible to test this recipe. I'd have to try it once...
Thanks for the answer, Obachan!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! I'm going to have to try that, so I'd like to know how long you marinated it for.

I've been cream cheese with soy sauce and katsuobushi since I tried a sample at a cheese shop. It's amazing how well these East/West ingredients work together! You also mention kelp, and I was wondering how you'd blend that with cheese.

obachan said...

Rosa
Oh, you can get miso over there?! Nice. Let me know if you gave it a try ;)

Amy
I marinated it for 2 days, but I guess it was too long. The surface turned a little -- just slightly -- plastic-like, but the cheese didn’t get as much saltiness as I wanted. So I should have used more salty miso paste and marinate the cheese overnight or one day, maybe? Oh, and the mozzarella I used was Jusco’s Top Value brand. Next time I might try a different brand.

As for cheese and kelp combination… Actually I haven’t tried it yet. I just read about it in manga. IIRC, it was diced cream cheese and boiled (?) and cut kelp mixed together, and a little soy sauce poured over??? or something... Sorry, I don’t remember exactly. I saw that in the manga,“Kuroudo蔵人”in ビッグコミックオリジナル a while back. Your husband might know this manga… :) Also, in the latest episode of the same manga, cream cheese marinated in sakekasu was introduced.

ぶらぶら said...

Something similar I saw was http://www.sushi-competition.com/2003/recipes03.htm

If you get it right the colour around the edge is very beautiful.

obachan said...

Hi burabura,
OMG, I never thought about using this for sushi!! How creative.
:D