Saturday, January 27, 2007

Open Sandwich with Low-fat New York Bread

My brunch today ... Open Sandwich and Scrambled Eggs

See the result of my first baking attempt with my brown applesauce. ;)

This is my favorite recipe from a muffin book (Japanese), Itsudemo Muffin - Muffins & Quick Breads - by Asa Shirokawa. The author is a Japanese woman who had spent several years in the U.S. She wrote that she was inspired by the muffins served at a cafe in NYC and came up with this quick bread recipe after trials and errors.

The recipe calls for absolutely no butter or salad oil. Instead, oatmeal (cooked), applesauce, banana and plain yogurt are used to make this quick bread pleasantly moist. This time, I omitted cooked apple chunks, and added a little almond powder to the dry ingredients. What I forgot to do, though, was adding a pinch of salt. It is not mentioned in the recipe but I thought a little salt would make this bread taste even better. Oh well, next time.



Nevertheless, the bread turned out very moist and tasty. I love tasting the gentle, natural sweetness of this bread with the saltiness of ham and/or cheese. (Of course, butter or mayonnaise is also good, but I like cheese the best.)

* To those who want to email me:
The window may not open when you click on the "email me" link on the sidebar. Right-click on the link and copy-paste my email address, please. Thanks.

Categories:

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bread looks good indeed! Any chance on posting the recipe for the bread Obachan? er...perhaps impossible due to copyright issue?

K-Nina

Anonymous said...

very nice looking bread and sandwich!

Anonymous said...

looks yummy:) The bread sound really healthy and delish~

obachan said...

K-Nina
If you email me, I’ll see what I can do. ;)

k & s
Thanks.

ireny
Yeah, I love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Your bread and open sandwich look fabulous! I wouldn't mind eating some of your sandwiches right now...

Anonymous said...

I also wouldn't mind having a recipe for that bread ;-P...

Anonymous said...

Ugh...I can't access your email :[. Is it because I used Firefox so the link doesn't work?

K-Nina

obachan said...

Rosa's Yummy Yums
I emailed you. :)

K-Nina
It doesn't work on my browser (Firefox), either. Please right-click on the link and copy-and-paste my email address.

Anonymous said...

The texture of the bread looks amazing, and such a healthy reciepe! I'll bet your open face sandwhich tated superb! Was that Feta crumbled on top? The avacado looks perfectly ripe. Someone gave us an authentic mexican morter and pestle, so my husband has been making guacamole with flame roasted chilli pepers, everynight! We have 2 more ripe avacado's to use up. Then I hope his phase will be over!

obachan said...

Wow! I wish I could come to your place and help eating guacamole, 'cause I LOVE it and it's so hard to find good, ripe avocados around here! But I guess his phase is over by now... :(

ASIA'S FINEST said...

That bread looks delish!!!

obachan said...

Thank you! :D