Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas



So, my Christmas project was successfully completed. A home-made Christmas tree, a small wreath (under the candle), and a fruitcake with icing.

My Christmas tree:
It didn't take too long to make this Christmas tree. It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, but doesn't look too terrible for the first try, don't you think? And every time I get close to the tree, the sweet smell of the spice cookies cheers me up. I love it! :)

My cookies:
This year I gave up on making some of my staples such as matcha cookies, jam thumbprints and big, soft ginger cookies. Other than the gingerbread people decorating the fake tree, I baked only two kinds of cookies: lemon sable and snickerdoodles (with my own tweaks. I turned them into orange snickerdoodles.).



I needed to spend about thirty minutes at Kochi Castle and Josei park to pick nuts for this small wreath. After taking the above photo, I used the wreath to decorate the candle. (See the top photo.)





Oh, I love the above shot soooo much. The idea of using this empty glass just popped up in my mind as soon as I started shooting cookie photos. Inspiration, ha? ;)


Place mouse on the photo to light the candle. Click photo to enlarge. ;)

My cake:
And my crazy invention, rum-amaretto fruitcake.
The icing of the cake consisted of almond paste and royal icing. How about that?




I liked this cake alright, but it could have been better, to be honest. I should have used more dried fruit.


Now I'm relaxing in my room, enjoying food and drink. So much has been happening lately and I have to take care of so many things. But for now, I don't want to do anything else but to enjoy this peaceful moment alone.



------------

Dear readers,
Let me thank you for all your support throughout the year. I had to go through a lot in 2007... a surgery, changing jobs and all ... I couldn't have survived without your warm comments and emails.


May all your holidays be filled with
love, happiness and special memories.

-- Merry Christmas --



Categories:

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obachan, even with no money and no time, you managed to put together such a luxurious and wonderful looking Christmas. You really inspire me to live more simply and richly at the same time. Thank you! Merry Christmas to you. May 2008 bring you love, happiness, prosperity, and health.

Anonymous said...

Hello Obachan! Everything looks great! Merry Christmas and may 2008 bring you much happiness!

Donna said...

Merry Christmas to you as well! May the Year of the Rat be filled with Happiness and success.

Pinkity said...

Dearest obachan,

I would like to thank YOU for being such great source of inspiration. 2007 had been a year filled with ups and downs... Reading this blog helped me keep track of myself and everytime I read your posts I tell myself, dust yourself off and keep moving!

You are really a great person. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a better year 2008!

Lots of love and merry xmas!

K and S said...

Wow! I'm impressed with that fruitcake! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and may 2008 be a delicious year for you.

Anonymous said...

The finished cake with the white icing is stunning, really beautiful.

All the best to you for 2008!

Anonymous said...

Obachan~ Thank you too for sharing all the amazing food in your blog throughout the year 2007!
May the year coming ahead be filled with more happiness and joys~
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Dear Obachan,

Wishing you lots n lots n lots n loooooooooooots oF HAPPINESS, GREAT HEALTH AND GOOD LUCK AND LOVE IN 2008

LOVE FROM MALAYSIAELAYNE

☆Hachiko☆ said...

Merry Christmas obachan! I've been thoroughly impressed bu your blog this past year and your food looks spectacular! Have a wonderful christmas!

Ms One Boobie said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays .. Obachan..! we love you and your blog.. :)

Piccola said...

Merry Christmas to you too. The Christmas tree looks wonderful with all those decorated cookies as ornaments :)

I just found your blog recently, but i will look forward to reading more of it in 2008~

Martin J Frid said...

Happy holidays, life is precious.

A peaceful moment alone is more than most people can hope for.

rokh said...

merry christmas and may your dys be filled with more peace and joy! :D

obachan said...

Joanna
Oh, thank you so much. To tell you the truth, I didn't help dad with picking oranges because it rained on Saturday and early Sunday, so I had time, at least. ;P Yeah, I'm glad that the sweets and the decoration look nice in these photos.

Tiptup
Thanks. I wish you much happiness for the new year, too. :)

Donna
Ah, I almost forgot. The year of the rat! I wish you happiness and success in 2008, too.

Pinkity
Oh, how nice of you. Your comment really makes me feel that I'm worthwhile. Thanks and good luck for the new year!

K & S
Thank you. "Delicious year" sounds good. I wish you the same, too.

Winnie
Thanks for your kindness. I wish you a great year full of happiness.

Yenyen
I wish you the same. :) Please keep coming back to my blog in 2008.

Elayne
Oh, it's so nice of you to wish me that much happiness. I'm sure 2008 will be a super happy year for me ;) May the new year bring you tons of happiness, too.

☆Hachiko☆
I appreciate your nice comment. Like I often say, my photo-taking skill seems to be improving faster than my cooking skill. Haha...
Have a great holiday season!

Mamabok
Thank you. :) Please say Hi and Merry Christmas to your cute little girl.

Piccola
Thanks! Please come visit often in 2008, too. :D

Martin J Frid
Maybe that's true. ;)
I wish you all the best for the new year!

Rokh
Thank you. Yeah, I really need a peace. It has been like being in a battlefield.
I wish you a wonderful year of the rat! :D

Maud said...

Merry Christmas Obachan, and greetings from Finland!

Anonymous said...

A bit late, but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Obachan! Your fruitcake and cookies look delicious, I think I'm starting to drool over here!

Makoto said...

A bit late, but still anyway wishing you a very Merry Christmas and hope you had 365 presents under the tree, each filled with another great day for the year 2008. All the best.... Looks like I have some catching up to do on all this yummy food on your site.

Ian said...

Have a wonderful new year Obachan, hopefully we will catch up with you in the summer :)
Misa's in Japan at the moment so sadly I will be spending New Years day without her:( anyway all the best to you, I hope the next year brings you happiness.

SkyJuice said...

Love the photos! Wishing you a very Happy New Year, Obachan. May 2008 brings you continuous blessings, joy, good health and wealth. :-)

obachan said...

Maud
Thanks! It must be really cold over there in Finland, right?
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas :D

Zinkadinkadoo
Happy New Year! I bet you had a wonderful holiday season with lots of yummy cakes/cookies and lovely crafts. Wish you all the best for 2008.

Makoto
Oh, "365 presents" sounds great! Thank you so much. I wish you the same, too. :)

Demon
I really want to thank you and Misa-san for your friendship. It helped me go through the challenges in 2007.
Have a very VERY happy new year!

Skyjuice7
Thank you. I wish you a wonderful and exciting new year, too. :)