Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Leftover From Last Night


Chige Soup (I used retort-packed chige soup base :P)

I just had lunch and it was chige soup from last night. It was another cold and rainy day yesterday, and the rain didn't stop at night. It took two bowls of this soup and a can of beer, followed by a nice hot bath, to completely warm me up before going to bed.

Today the soup tasted much milder. I'm going to throw some rice in it and make porridge tonight.

-------
Last Sunday, I was with my parents in my hometown to help mom at her tea ceremony booth at a community event there. We (mom and her students incl. myself) did the same thing two years ago, and here is the post on that event in 2006, if you are interested.

We were lucky about the weather, and luckly this time there was no squid hanging from a rope at the next booth. :P We had about 150 visitors, like last time. I didn't mind helping, and even enjoyed it, but doing a waitress work in kimono must have made me much more tired than I knew. (Kimono is our traditional costume that we wear on formal occasions (only), and it needs to be tied so tightly with many strings and belts.) On Sunday night, after coming back from the event, mom and I didn't feel like cooking. The three of us -- dad, mom and I -- just poured hot green tea over a bowl of rice and ate it with pickles, and went straight to bed around 9 pm.

OK. I have a confession to make. The reason why I couldn't take any photos at the ceremony was that I forgot to bring... not my camera, not batteries, but... I forgot to stick a SD card into my camera! :O

For those who might be interested, here's a photo of me from a few years ago. This kimono is very similar to the one I put on for the local event this time. Do I look very happy? Well, you never know what it is like to wear kimono until you actually give it a try... Hahaha...


Categories:

6 comments:

Implosion said...

Nevermind that there are no pics of the ceremony but we can always live the moment through your great stories, oba-chan! Thanks for your hard work!

obachan said...

Thank you. :)

 gmirage said...

Haha, and I was really hoping to see you in the pic! I suddenly remember Kakashi in the anime Naruto, he always has his chin hidden...no matter what!

from the other comment-sushi here is popular and I have learned it myself but am too stubborn i do not follow the vinegar portion exactly so my rice sometimes 'collapse' =D. *sigh* Genki de ne, Obachan!

obachan said...

I wonder how Kakashi eats food with that mask on his face. hahaha...

About sushi, at least you are more dedicated than I am. It's been a while since I made sushi last time.

Rei said...

Oh Obachan you look lovely in kimono. You wear it so well. Thanks for the link about how to wear one and tie obi. However, I still don't know how its done. None of my Sansei women friends own kimono in adult size (we all had them as children though for Bon Odori and Hinamatsuri).

obachan said...

It was my mom who put the kimono on me. That's why it looks good. But on the day of the event, I had to help with setting up the booth in this kimono. Imagine how hilarious it was, hahaha....!