Monday, March 31, 2008

Sweet Seasons / March 2008 - Hinamatsuri (Doll Festival) -

Odairi-sama and Ohina-sama
(Male and Female dolls representing the Emperor and Empress)
by Nishigawaya

Japanese doll festival held on March 3rd is called Hina-matsuri. Hina dolls are traditional ornamental dolls used for this festival only. For more details about Japanese doll festival, see this site.

The hina dolls are supposed to be taken down and put back in the boxes as soon as the festival is finished, because there is an old saying that if you have the dolls on display for too long, the girl(s) in the family will marry late. Now you know the reason why I'm still single: my family was lazy after the doll festival.
;)


I really love these cute wagashi hina dolls. They do look like a man and woman in kimono.





They are in love. ;)

To some wagashi and tea ceremony learners or experts living in and outside Japan:

I’m sorry that I cannot give you, at this point, a decent explanation about what these cute dolls are made with. I’m sure these are made with shiro-an (sweetened white bean paste) based dough, but not sure if it is nerikiri or konashi. Again, I forgot to ask the clerk at the store. I’m not sure what the difference between nerikiri and konashi is in the first place, if there is a difference anyway. Some even say that they are the same thing called differently in different areas in Japan, but others say that they are two different things. Really confusing. I hope I can give you a better explanation sometime in the near future. ;)


Categories:

16 comments:

Pinkity said...

I love the intricate design at the side of the 'kimono'! I wonder if the sakura was stamped on? :D

Anonymous said...

!!!! They're so cute!!!

I wonder.....Ought you eat/stop making these shortly after the festival, too? To prevent late marriage? ^_~

tofugirl said...

Oh, so beautiful!

I have been reading your blog for a while now, it is very inspiring :)

Hollywood Tai Tai said...

oh these are cute! i thought they were made by you, hee...

Chubbypanda said...

The outer layer really does look like the crossover fold of a kimono. I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Ma kawaii desu ne!
I wonder how they taste. Looks like marzapan, but is it lima bean or Japanese sweet potato or...?
Happy April!
Rei

Kitikata-san said...

The doll candies are very cute!

obachan said...

Pinkity]
Yeah, I love the design, too. That’s the reason why I bought them. And the color gradation! That’s what that made the kimono so charming, I think.

Tindy
You mean making hina doll wagashi like these? Mmmmm… I don’t know. The wagashi hina dolls might have the same magical power! Then this confectioner should be blamed. They were selling these even a few weeks after the festival. Someone might sue them. Hahaha…

Hollywood tai tai
I wish I could make cute wagashi like these (and had the equipment to press beautiful design on wagashi). But these are definitely a professional work, and the equipment must be DARN expensive.

Chubbypanda
Me, too. So refreshingly springy. :)

Rei
Honto ni kawaii !
They are made with shiro-an (sweetened white bean paste) based dough and tasted quite smooth but not too sweet.

Kitikata
Thanks. These are actually quite soft like marzipan.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty..Obachan..!

obachan said...

Yep! I felt almost guilty when I ate them.

Anonymous said...

so beautiful!

Piccola said...

kawaii! beautiful and cute at the same time.

obachan said...

oumismail
Thanks.

Piccola
I think so, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Such beauty in such simplicity. That is what I completely admire about wagashi.

Anonymous said...

Pretty pictures. ^_^

I've read that konashi and nerikiri are made two different ways. Konashi is more common in Kansai and it's made by kneading different flours into the shiro an, then steaming the dough.

Nerikiri is more common in Kanto and is made by kneading gyuuhi into the shiro an.

Nerikiri is most often seen shaped into giant food shaped offerings for temples and shrines.

I'm not sure if that info is right or not though...

^_^ sarujin

LilyAnette said...

Your wagashi section is so beautiful. Love it.