Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sweet Seasons / August 2008 - Morning Glory -


Asagao (Morning Glory) by Nishigawaya



I chose the same theme two years ago. Yes, the same plate, the same background photo but a different wagashi and different presentation.

First I thought that those incisions of this morning glory were made by wringing the nerikiri dough with something like cheesecloth. But how did they wring the top of the dough, making a well in the center at the same time? And they didn't forget to put tiny stamens in the center. (Click the photo to enlarge.) I like that. Good work.


Categories:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really too beautiful to be eaten!

Akuma said...

Really gorgeous, Obachan! What did you use for the leaf? It's beautiful! Out of curiousity, what type of camera did you use to take the picture? Thanks! :P

obachan said...

Vb
I think so, too. (But I eat it anyway.)

Akuma
Thanks but I didn't make this wagashi. I bought it at a wagashi shop called "Nishigawaya." I guess the leaf is gelatin jelly.

My camera is a digital camera.
If you're wondering about the trick of combining the wagashi photo and the background photo, it was not my camera's job -- it was a free photo re-touch software. I use a software called "PhotoFiltre" and there's a function called "Outside drop shadow" which does this trick. :)

Akuma said...

Obachan
Oops! Guess I posted too quick! Didn't notice! :P
And also, I meant the brand of the camera, but thank you for sharing that with me! I'll check it out.

LilyAnette said...

2 words to describe this Wagashi... Sweet and Pretty. thank you for sharing with us this confectionary art of Japan.

Anonymous said...

Wow it looks so delicate! I can't imagine the texture of this...

obachan said...

Akuma
Good luck with your camera hunting ;)

Lily Anette
Sweet and Pretty. Yeah, definitely!

Gabriel
The texture? Mmmm... how should I describe it. Could be like soft and silky marzipan?? Maybe not...