Monday, December 22, 2008

And As If It Was Not Enough...

Guess what. Heaven told me, "No baking for this Christmas."
My oven-cum microwave just broke. The baking fairy inside of me got pissed and just left. How can this happen to a foodblogger? A couple of days before Christmas!!
What did I do to deserve all these?

If there hadn't been that door lock incident, I might have rushed to a discount store to get a new (least expensive) oven-cum microwave. But... now I can't afford it. You know why.

Well, good thing is that Christmas fruitcake was already baked about 10 days ago. And I managed to bake one batch of gingerbread cookies this morning before the oven broke. So I will do my best with what I've got for my Christmas post this year. Now I'm going to look for some pan-fried or deep-fried chicken recipe...

-----
Dec. 23rd

Hey, thanks for your support and advice. :D
After recovering from the shock, I realized that I do have a cheap toaster oven which may be used for baking cookies. (Of course, I would have to manually turn the baking dish around several times and use alminum foil properly to prevent burning.)
Also, if I decide to bake another cake in addition to the light fruitcake that is maturing (hopefully) now, yes, my electric rice cooker can bake certain types of cakes.

So things are not as bad as I had thought. My baking fairy is still in a bitchy mood, but she's back now, at least. :D

Today I have the whole day off. I'm going to forget about my work or the fact that I have to work on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1, and just have fun baking and making a wreath.


Categories:

10 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you'll be able to buy a new oven soon... Have you tried making pudding or steaming your cakes?

Cheers,

Rosa

K and S said...

oh no, I hope you will be able to get a new oven soon. I am glad you were able to bake a few things before it died. Happy Holidays!!

froy said...

Perhaps you can try out some traditional deep fried Christmas cookies? - or if you had an "æbleskive"-pan you could have those, but I don't suppose you do. You'll just have to delight in the stove top Christmas cooking instead!
Have a nice holiday.

rokh said...

oh gosh...wish all will be well for you after this!

Anonymous said...

Obachan, I am sorry! In the US, we have an expression -- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade! I remember the booklet that came with my Panasonic rice cooker had recipes for steamed puddings (which, I must confess, I never tried)? Or, how about deep-frying cakes as in doughnuts? Beignets?

I agree, when it rains, it pours!

Take Care!

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Even if they're harder to make, your cookies look DELICIOUS. I just started baking today. :D I made gingerbread cookies, but I don't think they're going to taste good.......

Deetsa said...

I hear you, Obachan. My oven broke too but much earlier than yours. I got NO Christmas baking done. My landlords have been dragging their feet to fix it only to tell me after that it will need to be replaced BUT... I'll have to wait until the maintenance guy gets back from his medical leave. AAAAAAAARGH.

Good luck on your dilemma

Anonymous said...

Oh... that's sad to hear but I'm glad that you're having alternatives!

Nevertheless, have a warm and merry Christmas, Obachan. Hugs...

sakiblu said...

Obachan..I just wanted to stop by your blog and wish you a very Blessed and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Obachan! Hope you were able to make more goodies!