Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pickled Cherry Tomatoes

Pickled Cherry Tomatoes

Some of you might remember what I wrote about my experience with cucumber pickles before. It was a little -- well, VERY -- disappointing experience. Actually it was almost traumatic, considering the amount of time I spent on the conversion. (It was an American recipe I found on the net.) Since then, I had avoided thinking about pickling again, until I saw a real tempting photo of pickled cherry tomatoes with a recipe in an old issue of a cooking magazine the other day. Isn't it amazing how photos can influence or motivate people to do something? Or maybe it's just me? I get tempted so easily... SOMETIMES (not always, I guess).


Well, this time I'm really happy that I got tempted. The recipe required no conversion, the instruction was very simple and the pickles turned out oh so good, though I needed to add much more sugar than the recipe called for to suit my taste.


And these pickles in the jar are so photogenic! That really counts.


And you see the jar I chose this time? Hey, I'm learning... ;)


Categories:

8 comments:

K and S said...

glad your pickling experience this time was a good one, they look delicious.

ghanima said...

I think I've sworn off canning tomatoes ever since I stewed 3 baskets worth and ended up with one properly sealed jar. Yours look lovely, of course, as always.

Anonymous said...

I tried once made ginger pickles and was total disaster!! Mmm... but these cherry tomatos look lovely & delicious! So envy! I think I will try too! (*^w^*)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the success of your pickled cherry tomatoes. I can well understand your past disappointment. The first time I tried a Japanese recipe for quick pickled cucumbers it was less than a wonderful experience...it had a rather flat taste and not like my Kyoto friend's pickles. But like you, I refuse to give up and will try again soon. Great photos and food styling as always.

Anonymous said...

Obachan, you make me laugh. :D

obachan said...

K & S
Thanks. Now I enjoy my beer with these pickles. It's a healthier habit, I think, than drinking beer with potato chips like I used to do. I wanna try cauliflowers next but they are expensive...

Ghanima
Canning is tricky, isn't it? Well, it is, at least for me.

Looks like I don't need to seal the jars to store these pickled tomatoes for weeks or months because they were already really soft at the end of the second day.They'd be too soft to eat if waited more than a week, I guess.

Kiria
That's too bad. Hope you have a great success this time. :)

Mora
Pickles made in Kyoto are really special. I guess they have a secret that they never tell us. I mean it. LOL

Tindy
I'm glad to hear that. :D

Elizabeth Kronoff said...

Hi Obachan! I am planning to pickle some home-grown cherry tomatoes. Is this from a Japanese or western recipe? If possible I'd like the recipe.

Carole Jean said...

I would so love this recipe, they look wonderful!